Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Is privacy loss worth 8% Ajusto car insurance saving?" (is anything worth it anyway?)

For the past two months a small device in my car, the size of a credit card, has been tracking my every movement.

It knows how far I drive every day, the time of day I’m driving, how quickly I accelerate to get on to the highway and which highway that was. The wireless GPS monitor goes with the Desjardins Insurance Ajusto program which was launched in Ontario last May.

I’ve been testing the device to see how much I might save by exchanging some privacy in return for a discount based on my driving habits. So far, I’m looking at about $150 a year and I’m not sure whether the tradeoff is worth it.

I’m not alone in that. Desjardins has added 50,000 new customers in the past year and only four in ten are opting for Ajusto, despite an incentive of 10 per cent off in the first year just for trying it.

 Ajusto is the first of a new tier of car insurance products coming your way. Companies are using wireless technology to monitor how you drive and sell you products based on that. In exchange for personal information, you’ll get a better deal.


By Adam Mayers 
 read full article at The Star http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/insurance/2014/06/15/is_privacy_loss_worth_8_car_insurance_saving_from_ajusto.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for your interest in sharing your view.

Please be aware that your message should follow the rules of creative criticism and knowledge/ideas sharing. No defamatory, insulting, hideous, hateful, inapropriate language or targeted messages would be posted.No trademark or IP violation will be allowed nor the promotion of any commercial services or products. Of course anything that can violate others' privacy is not allowed as well.

Last, but not least, mind that it is better to have a discussion than angry monologues.

That is all. Comments welcome!